Sunday, October 7, 2018


    About the Daily Bread    

 The model for prayer that Jesus gave his disciples - in Matthew 6 
and Luke 11 - includes lofty thoughts about our Father, 
his kingdom, forgiveness, evil, power and glory

Old manuscripts vary somewhat, 
and the NIV doesn't include the KJV's last 12 words. 

Then, there is this: give us our daily bread

Hmmm. Does this mean, well, what does it mean?
Commentaries don't give us much certainty.

In Proverbs we came across this in chapter 30:7-9:

Two things I ask of you, O Lord ... 
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.

Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you,
and say, 'Who is the Lord?'
Or I may become poor and steal, 
and so dishonor the name of my God.

So...the writer wants what he needs, bread and money,
but not too much or too little.

Maybe Jesus was thinking of these verses.

When it was time for me to make my own living,
I never cared about wealth. 
I just feared debt and becoming dependent.
There were a bleak few months at age 52,
but the Lord saw us through.

      Jimmy


No comments:

Post a Comment