Wednesday, November 22, 2023

One More Thing 

     Would you like a deluxe electric range for only $99? 

     End note. Blog dated Nov. 20.  

     During a search of my office cabinet, I came across a page 1 photo in the city's newspaper. I was in that overhead photo. Well, me and 2,364 other college graduates in black robes. 

     We were four abreast stretching from the basketball arena, walking toward the football stadium. That may not impress you. But know this: We all stayed in order as they placed us individually for the walk, then in stadium seats. And later when 2,365 grads crossed the stage on that field, a stranger handed me my diploma. How did they do that?

     The speaker that day was Atomic Energy Commission Chairman Glenn T. Seaborg. A football game would have been far more entertaining. 

     Now. The purpose for this end note: 

     I turned over the page, finding ads for kitchen appliances. Along with the electric range was a "Big" 2-door refrigerator, reg. $299, for just $199. And a 21-inch RCA television for $138. And an RCA Whirlpool automatic washer..."absolutely no money down." 

     Of course, I couldn't afford any of that...had I owned a home. But, I ask you, "Is financial life for ordinary citizens any better now than in 1961?"

           Jimmy

Friday: We may start a short series on our compromised CIA.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment