Wednesday, November 15, 2023

God's Will or Else?

     We will to pick up where we left off yesterday. 

     Humans have wills. Do we ever! From the beginning to the flood to Abraham to the exodus, God hovered over many wills. 

     Finally, in the Promised Land, David prayed, I desire to do your will, O my God. Psalm 40:8. And, teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground. Psalm 143:10.  

     Later, as Jews occupied Jerusalem, 700-680 B.C., Isaiah received many Messianic prophesies. The consummate of them all:

     Yet it was the Lord's will to crush him and cause him to suffer, and though the Lord makes his life a guilt offering, he will see his offspring and prolong his days, and the will of the Lord will proper in his hand. After the suffering of his soul, he will see the light of life, and be satisfied by his knowledge; my righteous servant will justify many, and he will bear their iniquities. Isaiah 53:10-11 

     Whew! There is hope for you and me. Our iniquities are a lot worse than eating forbidden fruit. Yes? 

     Still later in Judea, Isaiah's "him," now in human likeness, addressed a large crowd seated on a mountainside. Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Matthew 7:21

     If anyone thought they deserved eternal life by prophesying, driving out demons and performing miracles, Jesus slammed the door: I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers. Matthew 7:23. 

Will you learn more tomorrow? 


No comments:

Post a Comment