Wednesday, March 14, 2018

   Burdens   

   Human inclinations include self love, pride, pleasure seeking, jealousy, arrogance, cruelty, corruption, lying, quarrels, resentfulness, envy, malice, greed, lust and much more. 

   These are the source of burdens we suffer to some degree. We pretend, wanting to put our best foot forward, hiding from ourselves and God, fearing exposure.

   Solomon observed these problems. Jesus well knows them and the destruction they cause. He promises us rest and relief from the burden of pretense. 

   Our Pursuit of His Presence   

   Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. Matt. 5:5; Ps. 37:11.

   The meek are not weak or inferior; they may be the very opposite. But they are not fooled about their nature. 

   Come unto me, all you who are weary and burdened
and I will give you rest  ... learn from me, for I am gentle 
and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls ... 
my burden is light. Matt. 11:28-30.  

   There is also the matter of eternal rest. How do we receive that? With childlike trust.

   I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the 
kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it. Luke 18:17 

   King David was naughty. But in time he confessed. 

   Realizing what mattered most to him, he begged his heavenly Father:

Do not cast me from your presence, or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Ps. 51:11


   

No comments:

Post a Comment