Sunday, March 3, 2024

The Last Sacrifice 

     "The law is only a shadow of the good things," the author of Hebrews wrote to Jewish converts. "These sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins; it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins."

     He quotes Psalm 40:6-8, written long before Jesus' birth, ministry, death and resurrection:

     "Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but a body you prepared for me; with burnt offerings and sin offerings you were not pleased. Then I said, 'Here am I - it is written about me in the scroll - I have come to do your will, O God.'" 

     That foretells Jesus' mission as a human, the Incarnation. No philosophy about it. 

     The author continues: "And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this: 

     "'This is the covenant I will make with them after that time' says the Lord. 'I will put my laws on their hearts, and I will write them on their minds. Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more'" Jeremiah 31:33. 

     "And where these have been forgiven, there is no longer any sacrifice for sin."

Next: A call to persevere




No comments:

Post a Comment