Tuesday, September 28, 2021

The Blind Can Praise 

   Recently, when I awake sometimes the music of a hymn goes though my mind, over and over. I try to recall at least a few words - hymns we haven't sung in church for decades.

   Last Saturday morning - nothing. Shortly after breakfast I needed more rest ... and fell asleep. When I awoke, there were a few notes, and gradually, three words ... ye little children. 

   I entered those words in my computer and found the children's song, Praise Him, Praise Him all ye little children...

   But why would the Lord remind me of a song for kids? With Mrs. Donut's help - she had played the organ at church - we found the hymn for adults: Praise Him! Praise Him! Jesus our blessed Redeemer! 

   It is one of some 9,000 hymns written by Fanny Crosby in the 19th Century. Mrs. Crosby was blind. At six months of age, her eyes were inflamed and a doctor's errant treatment blinded her for life. 

   She never held a grudge: "Blindness cannot keep the sunlight of hope from the trustful soul. One of the easiest resolves that I formed in my young and joyous heart was to leave all care to yesterday and to believe that the morning would bring forth its own peculiar joy." 

   The first of three stanzas:

Praise Him! Praise Him! Jesus, our blessed Redeemer!

Sing, O Earth, His wonderful love proclaim!

Hail Him! hail Him! highest archangels in glory;

Strength and honor give to His holy name!

Like a shepherd Jesus will guard His children,

In His arms He carries them all day long;

     Praise Him! praise Him! tell of His excellent greatness;

     Praise Him! praise Him! ever in joyful song! 




   

No comments:

Post a Comment