Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Welcome, Our New Readers 

     When we share our views with you, please don't snitch. We don't want the FBI coming to our door, weapons drawn, at 6 a.m. 😊

     Okay, our son-in-law encouraged me to start blogging about 12 years ago. I write Views by the Sea on Florida's west coast. Almost. 

     I am Jimmy Donut. The IRS knows me by a different name. 

     I've been breathing since December, 1938...a depression baby. And WW II allowed little time to stimulate children's brains. And no one knew I needed glasses until I was in fifth grade. 

     In college I switched from business to journalism, finding my niche at last. Later in Westinghouse Electric Corp. they taught us how to write with the readers in mind...in this case, factory workers. I have you in mind whenever I touch my keyboard.

     I retired after eight years with Westinghouse under the Dept. of Energy at "the bomb plant," not far from where they play the Masters golf tournament. Five nuclear reactors were decommissioned, and me as well.  

     In Florida someday I might be "retired" by a python. Meanwhile, allow me to explain why I often quote the Bible. 

     I married at age 30, and we became active in church. After 18 years, she wanted both God and me out of her life. I hurt badly for our kids. Did I say, "badly"? Then, working about 60 miles from home, I couldn't convince them to leave their home and friends. Not good.

     Evenings after work, I was on my apartment floor reading the Bible, appealing to God. How could he allow this? I even questioned his existence. From October into January, my health was failing. 

     The first Sunday night in January, I attended a Pittsburgh church. Nothing. As I opened my car door in the dark, awesome joy flooded over me. I drove up the highway laughing and crying, pounding the steering wheel. God does exist!!! This lasted three weeks, although I behaved myself in the office, and most everyone saw the new Jimmy. 

     Fast forward. No desire to remarry. Unkown to me, a woman in my former church told her sister in Pittsburgh that I needed a church. Her sister said, "I don't know about a church, but I have a wife for him." 

     Marge and I met for dinner - a blind date. Talked for three hours. No sooner had I retired in my apartment, the Lord spoke seven words - silently to my mind: I have reserved her for your wife

     Our generation sang hymns...which resonated with me more than sermons. Now, I sometimes wake up with the music of a hymn on my mind. Tuesday morning, it came with the words: What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear...

And I wish to be your friend.

  


    

       

     

No comments:

Post a Comment