Wednesday, April 21, 2021

 Peddle to the Metal

   Every boy remembers his first car. Our grandpa died before I was old enough to drive. My cousin Frank took possession of his 1930-something black Ford sedan. When he went off to Penn State, and I turned 16, the wheels were mine.  

                                                                                   Growing Up No. 2

   Not that I was allowed to go outside of town. I did violate the rule and took my buddy Jack to Conneaut Lake amusement park, 16 miles away. I remember driving my friends out to the ice cream joint about three miles from town. On the way back, they challenged me to let 'er rip. So, I floored the pedal and got the old boy to about 45 mph, and that was downhill. With 8 cylinders. 

   The valves badly needed attention. Dad was smart to nix the idea.

   What I could do was polish and wax the paint, which was solid on automobiles back then. Steel bumpers were another story. Coca-Cola and steel wool couldn’t erase the corrosion.

   This world is a corrosive environment, says a pastor whose hobby is boating and fishing. Just as automobiles and boats need to be cleaned and maintained, our life needs the daily care of God’s Word, prayer, confession and fellowship.

   If we neglect devotion time, we allow spiritual corrosion to overcome. It will fiercely resist cleansing. Are we too busy? Let’s take that to Him.   

Psalm 86:11. Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.

              Jimmy 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment