Monday, April 19, 2021

 Growing Up

   Dad was my mentor. He took the family to Sunday School and Church, and he introduced me to football.

   I was 4 or 5 when we went to a high school game. Then in 1945 we saw his high school team play in Canton, Ohio, where the NFL Hall of Fame now sits. There were twice as many fans there as were people in our hometown. The field was so muddy the uniforms all looked alike, and the final score was – no score.

   In 1948 we went to see the same teams play, but it was a sellout. He spoke with a school official, whom he knew; still no luck. It was like Christmas with no Santa Claus. 

   Finally, the man came up with one ticket, and told Dad if he put me on his lap, it was a go. Turns out, our seat was one of three that were amazingly empty. It was about the 35 yard line, and the right team won, not just the game but the state championship.

   Many games followed, in high school, college and a few pro battles.

   In my 30s, now supposedly an adult, my sports interest had cooled, but not gone. I had agreed to conduct Sunday afternoon services at a retirement home.

   One Sunday a game I wanted to see was on TV. Would I choose the game, or do my duty?

   Is our walk with Christ in danger because we are fixed on a competing habit or attitude or desire? The attraction might be a daily interest, or less frequent, and not even sinful.

   Now I realize - not one player knows or cares about me. But our Lord bled and died for me, and for you.

Galatians 5:1  It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

     Jimmy


No comments:

Post a Comment