Friday, June 15, 2018

   But My Word   
   Week 2   
Angel Means Messenger    

   The "angel of the Lord" (or of God) appeared to Hagar, Abraham, Jacob, Moses, Balaam, Joshua, Gideon, David, Elijah, Daniel - and in the New Testament, to Zechariah, Mary, Joseph (twice), and the shepherds.

   Because he appeared once in human form, and because he often spoke as the Lord himself, using the first person, (I will never break my covenant with you), some consider him to be Christ himself.

God's covenant with David
   God also communicated through prophets, such as Nathan, who relayed to David - Your house and your kingdom will endure forever before me; your throne will be established forever (2 Samuel 7:16). 

   In Psalm 89, the Lord says, I have made a covenant with my chosen one; I have sworn to David my servant, 'I will establish your line forever...' 

   As with previous covenant messages, God issued the promises and obligations; men were expected to obey. His promises were conditional.

Promise kept  
   From David's line, through Joseph, would come an eternal King to be born in Bethlehem, reign over Israel and all nations, bringing salvation. For centuries Israel looked for this Messiah (Christ). Both the kings and subjects failed in their obligations. God dissolved the covenant relationship.

   His Word also was unconditional in that the King was born to virgin Mary, in Bethlehem. Promise kept.

   The Savior's humble manger in an insignificant little town was itself a message to the world. This is no ordinary king.   

Monday: The stature of prophets 


No comments:

Post a Comment