Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Do We Have to?

   Jesus taught his disciples a short prayer. Some manuscripts read: …your kingdom come; your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Luke 11:2, NIV

   I once thought of this being a distant reality, when the Lord returns to rule the world. He wants us to pray for his will...when he returns…someday.

   That day will come. However, I totally missed present reality: God is among us, and his kingdom-will is being done everywhere his servants serve and obey.

But, do we have to forgive?

   Jesus continued, Forgive us our sins, as we also forgive everyone who sins against us. v. 4  

   Everyone? Some people hurt us big time, and they get away with it!

   For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. Matt: 6:12   

                                Do I need forgiven? I’m not so bad, am I?   

   Peter wanted details: Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?  Jesus: I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. Matt. 18:21-22   

   Once, I was hurt badly. Indirectly. Our youngsters whom I loved were hurt, more than they realized. This wasn’t a bad day. It was hell.  

   For two-plus months I floundered, losing sleep, hope and direction. I spent evenings in my apartment, letting God...if he was real (?) deal with me. 

Did I really, really have to forgive?

Tomorrow

        Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment