Wednesday, May 18, 2022

 This Is My Son 

     Three decades earlier, Gabriel the archangel had told Mary, a virgin, the power of the Most High would "overshadow" her, so her "child would be called the Son of God." 

     Mary had traveled to visit Elizabeth, and miracles occurred. Both women were "with child." Baby John, son of a Jewish priest, was about six months along. The two in utero in the same house were destined to meet.  

     The meeting occurred when "blameless" John was in the Jordan River, in the Desert of Judea, baptizing those who confessed their sins. He said, This is he who was spoken of through the prophet Isaiah, A voice of one calling in the desert, 'Prepare the way for the Lord; make straight paths for him.' 

     Pharisees and Sadducees arrived to see what John was up to. He was harsh with them: Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not think you can say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' I tell you, that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. 

     John will pay for those remarks.

     I baptize you with water for repentance, John continued. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. 

     The "one" arrived from Galilee to be baptized by John, who responded, I need to be baptized by you. Jesus replied, Let it be so; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness. 

     When Jesus went up out of the water, heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him. A voice from heaven said, This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. 

     So, Gabriel was right. 

Tomorrow: Let the miracles begin






No comments:

Post a Comment