Thursday, May 26, 2022

 The Last Straw  

     Lazarus, friend of Jesus and brother of Mary and Martha, is very sick. A mere man would have rushed to his bedside.

     But Jesus says, This sickness...is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it. - John 11:4. He stayed where he was two more days. 

     Finally, he tells his disciples, Let us go back to Judea. "But Rabbi," they persist, "a short while ago the Jews tried to stone you." 

     Jesus: Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but  I am going there to wake him up. Lazarus is dead, and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. Vv. 11, 14 

     Thomas says to the others, "Let us go also, that we may die with him." 

     They arrive. Lazarus has been in the tomb four days. Jews had come to comfort Mary and Martha.  

     Jesus tells Martha, Your brother will rise again. She answers, "I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."

     I am the resurrection and the life, he says. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies. 

     Martha hurried to tell Mary, "The Teacher is here." When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who came along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved. 

     Jesus wept. v. 35

     At the tomb, Jesus orders, Take away the stone.

     He looks up and prays, Father, I thank you that you have heard me...I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me. 

     In a loud voice, he called, Lazarus, come out!  

     Lazarus came out, wrapped in stripes of linen. Many of the Jews who had come to comfort Mary put their faith in Jesus. 

     Chief priests and Pharisees call a meeting. "What are we accomplishing?"

Tomorrow: Little do they know




No comments:

Post a Comment