Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Hold Your Horses!     
   Maximum Security   

  
   We interrupt our scheduled Tuesday blog to bring you this shocking update from Churchill Downs, site of the famed Kentucky Derby. 

   Yesterday, we reported on Maximum Security's appearance before a judge, claiming "nay" in the disqualification episode, which denied the horse 
his apparent victory. Max, as the 3-year-old colt is known, hinted that his jockey, if anyone, was responsible for interference. The judge sided with the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission.

   Later, the stewards, after reviewing yesterday's transcript and hearing from at least two rival jockeys, suspended Max's jockey 15 racing days, through June 20. They ruled that he "failed to control his mount, and did not make proper effort to maintain a straight course, interfering with several horses."  

   Knowing that Max speaks English, we slipped into his stall when no one was around to get his reaction to the news.

   He looked up from his feeding trough, a little irritated at this intrusion by a stranger. We calmed him with pony talk, and when we asked him about his jockey it was obvious no one had told him. 

   Max thought for a bit, then snarled, "I tried to tell the judge...about the jockey who whipped me around the track and out of my lane. Does this mean I'll get the roses after-all?" 

   I shook my head. He stared at me a few seconds; then he snorted. It was best for me to leave. 

      Jimmy


No comments:

Post a Comment