Monday, October 2, 2017


 
Chris Archer  


Making a Difference  

   While some pro athletes protest what they see as social injustice, pitcher Chris Archer says, "Taking a knee is like the smallest possible thing you can do." 

   Well known by fans of the Tampa Bay Rays, Archer's reputation is a little different than some ballplayers. He reads, thinks about the world he knows, and invests time and money in social causes.

   Rather than be distracted, Archer sticks to, "the original concept...how the judicial system has been handling certain things like when an unarmed minority is attacked, physically abused or even killed. And that's something that I've been standing for in my own way since I became conscious and aware, for about the last 10 years...and I first started doing things in the community." 

   Archer is involved with the Police Athletic League, the county Juvenile Detention Center and the homelessness nonprofit, Starting Right, Now

   He told the Tampa Bay Times, "I'm not shying away from what I believe in. Because I'm in the streets. Name me another player that's ever gone to a juvenile detention center ever in baseball, in Tampa Bay." 

   "Name me," he continued, "another that has sat in front of kids who have committed serious crimes and try to help them understand that number 1, the world is not against them. And...the only way to combat that is with a positive mind, a positive outlook, making the right decisions."

   "I never made it about political activism (but) it kind of is," he said. "Over 200 NFL players took a knee, but I'd like to know what percentage of those players have gone and spoken to either police forces or affluent kids or kids in poverty. I'm sure they have, but..." He questions whether they do it, paid to represent the team, or on their own time without recognition or money. 

   "I know what I'm doing with my life. I know how I'm trying to impact the world." 

   The long season ended yesterday for the Rays. Archer has more time to touch young lives - and perhaps some officers as well.

      Jimmy


   





No comments:

Post a Comment