Sunday, August 19, 2018

So, You're a Mere Phantom     
    
   Me too.

   David speaks to God in Psalm 39, a continuation Psalm 38:


You have made my days a mere handbreadth;
the span of my years is as nothing before you.
Each man's life is but a breath.

Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro.
He bustles about, but only in vain;
he heaps up wealth, not knowing who will get it.
vs. 4-6

   Commentary: David realizes it is the Lord who is causing his suffering. 
God has given each of us only a short time on earth as a period of testing, 
to determine our faithfulness to him, while living in a corrupt generation.

But now, Lord, what do I look for? 
My hope is in you.
Save me from all my transgressions.
...for you are the one who has done this.
Remove your scourge from me;
I am overwhelmed by the blow of your hand.
You rebuke and discipline men for their sin;
...each man is but a breath.
vs. 7-11

   David prays that he may not die separated from God and his mercy.

Hear my prayer, O Lord, listen to my cry for help;
be not deaf to my weeping.
For I dwell with you as an alien, a stranger...
Look away from me, that I may rejoice again
before I depart and am no more.
vs. 12-13


No comments:

Post a Comment