Monday, November 8, 2021

I Don't Hate Them...Honest! 

   Mom and Dad were faithful parents. In fact, I appreciate them even more than when I was young. 

   I also love my wife and my children and grandchildren, and my sister and all her family. I don't think in terms of loving myself, but I sure don't hate myself...just my sins.  

   Then I turn to Luke 14:26-27 and read what Jesus says is the Cost of Being a Disciple. 

   If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters - yes, even his own life - he cannot be my disciple. And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.

   Well, that leaves me out!

   Unless the disciple Matthew can help. In verses 10:37-39, he quotes Jesus, Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 

   That's better. 

   Translation from one language to another makes the difference. Our commentary says, the word in Luke translated "hate" means "love less." Whew! 

   If we want to be a true disciple - pastor? missionary? - Jesus demands that our loyalty to and love for him be greater than every other attachment. The cost is - to give up all relationships and possessions, material things, family, our own lives, desires, plans and interests. This doesn't mean rejection of all things, but to place them at Christ's service and under his guidance.  

   This misunderstanding is also found about 430 B.C. when Malachi wrote what the Lord said to him, "Was not Esau Jacob's brother? Yet I have loved Jacob, but Esau I have hated..." 

   Here, the term translated "hated" means only that God chose Jacob and not Esau to inherit the covenant promises, and to be one of the forefathers of the chosen people from whom the Messiah would come. 

            Jimmy


No comments:

Post a Comment