Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Hope for the Lukewarm                                          

        Laodicea, in Turkey                    

   Decades after Jesus arose, he appeared in such brilliance John fell as though dead. But the Lord revived him, giving his old disciple messages for seven churches, truth for the ages. 

   The church in ancient, wealthy Laodicea received a "wake up or else." Church members were lukewarm - worse than cold, Jesus said, because they thought they were doing okay, but were not. 

   In Revelation 3:18-19, the Lord urged attendees to buy from me gold (faith) refined in the fire (no impurities) so you can become rich. He added, white clothes (righteousness) to wear so you can cover your shameful nakedness ... and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see (truth and help from the Spirit).

   Eye-salve was one of the products Laodicea was known for. 

   Come...you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread and your labor on what does not satisfy? - Isaiah 55:1-2

   Jesus was harsh, but he offered hope. 

   Here I am! he told John to write to the Laodiceans. I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will go in and eat with him, and he with me. - Rev. 3:20-21

   To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne.

Imagine! 

   So, we open the door and keep overcoming, despite problems, battles and difficulties. When we need to confess, we can trust in his forgiveness and cleansing.

Source: the late Dr. Stanley Horton


   









No comments:

Post a Comment