Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Exalted Father to Father of Many

     Abram may have been a normal person, but his name meant "exalted father." 

     Since we last saw him at the covenant - we're not sure what he saw given the "dreadful darkness" - Abram lived in Canaan 10 years, to age 86. Then at 99 (Genesis 17) he still hadn't faced his ultimate test. Will he die before God gets around to it?

     Not a chance. The Lord said, I am God Almighty (El Shaddai, all powerful). Walk before me and be blameless. I will confirm my covenant between me and you and will greatly increase your numbers.

     Your name will be Abraham (father of many), for I have made you a father of many nations. I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant and your descendants after you for the generations to come. 

     As for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants. Then God added a sign of the covenant, circumcision. 

     The Lord's promise to be their God was a promise on which all other promises rest. God unreservedly binds himself to his faithful people...to be their God, shield, reward, with grace, pardon, promises, protection, guidance, goodness, help and blessing...in love. 

     Fair enough?  

  Next: They laughed? Seriously? 



No comments:

Post a Comment