Sunday, August 30, 2026

Jimmy Donut   

     Friends of jxdonut.blogspot.com...we think you might enjoy the real reason our son Greg arrived from Ohio at 11:30 p.m. Tuesday. The story begins in my esophagus. My surgeon was born in India, but raised in Cleveland, Ohio, where he became a Browns football fan, as I once was. So far, so good.

     Tuesday and Wednesday, I was denied all but water and similar drinks. Thursday morning, I awoke to a hymn in my mind that repeated over and over. I heard only three words - abide in me. I "hummed" it to Mrs. Donut. "That's the hymn," she said.  

     At 8:30 a.m. Greg drove us 25 miles south. There aren't many surgeons who do this. We had to travel. At 9:45 we pulled into Orlando Health in Saint Petersburg. (The apostle Peter might not agree he was the first pope.) I was in walking distance of the Rays baseball stadium. The doctor wisely chose a day there was no game to distract me. I was denied any food or drink for two more days. My water came from an IV. 

     > Esophagogastroduodenoscopy with transendoscopic balloon. The problem in my throat is Zenker's. The doctor put something into my mouth, throat and stomach. Thursday night I didn't sleep at all, until Mrs. Donut said I snored about daybreak. Have to take her word. She didn't sleep much either. 

     I was ready to leave Friday morning, but the hospital had to prepare a seven-page list of instructions. At 3 p.m. we left, only to find ourselves in a terrific storm over the bay and into the Tampa area. 

     That night, home in bed, I had such a weakness/feeling I began to wonder who among friends and relatives will attend my funeral. False alarm. I am still on a diet of clear juices, coffee, water, Jello, etc. My freedom to eat steak won't come until mid-September. 

     Some people in Africa are limited like this all year around.    

    We all have a muscular tube that carries food and liquid from throat to stomach. Some people suffer heartburn or cancer there.  

     My problem was a pocket allowing food to collect where it shouldn't, sometimes choking the tube. If you or someone you know has Zenker's, it can be fixed. Abide in God. 

     I don't need to include my name again, do I?

😅


No comments:

Post a Comment